Monday 15 June 2015

Elephant No. 135: Guest Artist Lori Seguin





I love that Lori—who, to my knowledge, has never drawn or painted an elephant in her life—decided to produce this quick sketch for the #Elegram Project. I honestly don't know why she hesitated, because she's clearly a natural.

I met Lori through her equally talented actress sister, Jennifer, and was able to attend one of her first shows in Montreal. I bought a couple of paintings at the show, in addition to one I'd bought earlier. Not sure which of the ones I own is my favourite, and I'm kind of partial to a few of her newer works as well.


The Cowboy, the Princess and the Horse (2013)
Lori Seguin
Acrylic on canvas
16 x 20" (40.6 x 50.8 cm)
Source: Loriville

Lori often starts with a photograph that piques her interest, then adapts it in her own unique way, adding pattern, colour, overlays, and even text. One of the works I own has feathers embedded in the paint; in another, the subject's hair stands on end, rising up and over the top of the frame.



Got My Hair Did (2010)
Lori Seguin
Acrylic on canvas, resin frame, dye, latex gloves
7 x 9 inches (17.8 x 22.9 cm)
Private Collection
Source: Loriville


Spinarette (2013)
Lori Seguin
Acrylic on canvas
11 x 14 inches (28 x 35.5 cm)
Source: Loriville

Lori tells me she's been making art all her life, and I can attest to the fact that Lori pours her heart and soul into every work she produces. Friends, family, animals and pop culture all come into play—play being the operative word.



Fish-Eyed Hipster (2014)
Lori Seguin
Acrylic on canvas, 20 x 18 inches (50.8 x 45.7 cm)
Private Collection
Source: Loriville

Currently based in Montreal, Lori is completely self-taught and produces illustrations and cards in addition to paintings. And when she's not making art, she's probably drumming up a storm.
 

Cardy (2015)
Lori Seguin
Acrylic on canvas
12 x 12 inches (30.5 x 30.5 cm)
Private Collection

I'm still touched and amazed that Lori produced an elephant. I know she's resisted in the past, but she has a very big heart, and clearly the #Elegram Project is irresistible. To see more of Lori's work, visit her at Loriville.






Elephant Lore of the Day
While looking for news from the world of elephants and conservation today, I stumbled across a fundraiser called the Elephant Charge.

In October of each year, teams of cars and motorbikes take on a challenging course through the Zambian bush. Each team pledges a minimum of k4000 ($550 to $700 U.S.), which goes into a fund that is distributed to 12 causes all over Zambia, including elephant welfare.


A vehicle navigating the Elephant Charge course in Zambia.
Source: www.elephantcharge.org


Teams are given ten checkpoints, and must find their own way between them by travelling through valleys, up cliffs and over ridges. The winning team is the one that passes all ten checkpoints in the shortest distance possible. Those who've entered the Elephant Charge say it's a gruelling test of a team's driving, navigation and endurance skills. I've driven the crazy ten-minute Land Rover course before, but I'm guessing this is just a teeny bit more challenging.

The 2014 Elephant Charge raised more than K400,000 (approximately $55,000 to $70,000 U.S.) for wildlife preservation. To read more about this year's Elephant Charge, please click here.


Young African elephants.
Source: Solbitstravels



To Support Elephant Welfare

No comments:

Post a Comment